The Digital Media Commons (DMC) equipment checkout service provides audio and video equipment for use by students for course assignments. It is located in Groundworks on the first floor of the Duderstadt Center.
The DMC Equipment Checkout provides pre-assembled kits with equipment for video capture, still photography, audio recording, lighting, and tripods to faculty and students who need to create media for instruction or class assignments. We are here to support faculty who wish to include media projects in their for-credit classes. The equipment is not intended for personal use. Please plan ahead, as we have limited resources.
These kits, combined with the expertise and support of the Digital Media Commons staff, are a terrific resource for learning, practicing, and producing amazing content. Groundworks is a great place to get answers to all your questions about the media tools. Requests for equipment can be made using our equipment checkout form above.
Ready-to-go Equipment Kits
Our new Sony mirrorless camera kits are the best of both worlds. The Sony a7C functions as both a 24 MP still camera and UHD 4K30p Video camera. The low light and focus capabilities of this camera are truly spectacular. The kits also come with 2 wireless lavalier microphones, and accessories to connect the equipment. The mic system also comes with cables to connect it right to your smart phone or laptop for a quick simple audio recording.
The camera kit comes with the following:
- Sony a7C Mirrorless Camera
- 128GB SD card
- 3x Rechargeable Battery
- 56mm f/1.4 Lens
- 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
- Dual battery Charger
- USB 3.0 Memory Stick / SDHC / microSD Memory Card Reader
- Rode Wireless GO II 2-Person Compact Digital Wireless Microphone System/Recorder
- 2x Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- Rode SC15 Lightning USB Type-C to Lightning Accessory Cable (11.8″)
- Dual Cold Shoe Mount
- Dual USB Wall Charger
- Kopul CMX-RC30 Right-Angle Coiled Stereo Mini Cable (Black, 8 to 24″)
Mobile Phone Production Kit
Are you comfortable using your mobile phone for general media production? How about making it a little bit better. The mobile phone kit has a variety of accessories to make your camera into a production bundle.
The mobile phone kit comes with the following:
- Smartphone Handheld Video Rig Kit
- Tabletop Mini Tripod
- Mobile Phone 5-in-1 Camera Lens Kit
- Lume Cube Panel Mini Light
- Multi-Port Power Bank
- Camera-Mount Shotgun Microphone
Shaky camera is great for introducing chaos in your shoot, but if you are looking for a more stable image, try our Gimbal Kit. This kit works for both smartphones, as well as cameras.
The gimbal kit comes with the following:
- Three-Axis Motorized Gimbal Stabilizer
- Designed for Mirrorless Cameras
- One-Handed Operation, 4.4 lb Max. Load
- Force Mobile Smartphone Control
- ActiveTrack 3.0 Subject Tracking
- 360° Panorama & Time-Lapse Control
- Battery Grip Lasts up to 11 Hours
- USB Type-C & Bluetooth Control
- Motor Protection, Quick Release Slider
- Control & Configure via Android/iOS App
The DMC Equipment Checkout has new LED lights available. These lights are dimmable from 0-100%, and the color temperature can be adjusted from 3200k-6500k. These kits also come with a telescoping stand.
XP-Pen Drawing Tablets
Looking for a substitute to the Wacom drawing tablets located in Groundworks? Our 15.6″ XP-Pen tablet can be connected to your laptop and used as a drawing tablet with applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
XP-Pen Drawing Tablets come with the following pieces:
- Pen Display
- Replacement Nibs
- Pen Holder
- 3-in-1 Cable
- Cleaning Cloth
Obtaining Access to Equipment
DMC Equipment is provided to students and faculty to support U-M coursework. When you submit a reservation request you will be asked to provide a course number and/or the name of a faculty member who assigned the project you’re working on.
Location and Hours
The DMC Equipment Checkout is located in Groundworks, on the first floor of the Duderstadt Center (see map).
Equipment may be checked out between 10am-5pm Monday-Friday. All equipment is available for a 3 day or weekend checkout (M-W, T-Th, W-F, Th-M, F-M). All equipment is due by 4pm on it’s due date.
Note: Need more advice on equipment? Groundworks staff are available to consult on your project or production.
DMC Checkout Policy
- All Checkout transactions are for a 3 day period of time (Monday-Wednesday, Tuesday-Thursday, Wednesday-Friday, Thursday-Monday, Friday-Monday).
- Equipment kits have specific gear associated with them. Each kit must be returned with all pieces present. The user will replace any piece not returned in the kit, or be charged the replacement cost of the entire camera kit (approximately $2,500). We can provide vendor suggestions to order replacement parts.
- The User agrees to be responsible for the gear that is listed as ‘included with the kit’, whether it was there upon checkout or not. Make sure the equipment you are taking responsibility for, is all there.
- Completing the “Checkout Agreement” will get you access to the equipment.
- Users may not use equipment checked out from the DMC in any “for-profit” situation. You are not allowed to use the DMC equipment on any project for which you are receiving payment to produce.
- Violation of any of these terms can result in permanent removal from checkout privileges.
- Use of any of our resources is dependent on availability.
- Individuals or University units with questions about access to these resources and facilities not specifically answered by these guidelines, or wishing to arrange such access, may contact Groundworks at 734-647-5739 or Groundworks@umich.edu.